This is another recipe we have added to our go to list. I could eat this all day, everyday! This is very easy to prep and does not take long. A very easy and simple recipe for those who love a good Italian style meal. We found this on Pinterest at Chelsea’s Messy Apron.
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) petite diced tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (10.75 ounces) tomato condensed soup
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds optional
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tablespoon salt adjust to preference
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen cheese filled tortellini
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley optional
- Toppings: freshly grated Parmesan cheese, large spoonful of ricotta cheese
In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef until cooked through. We did the recommended suggestion of adding the onion and garlic in the last few mins of cooking. This makes them a little crunchier but not too cooked.
While the beef is cooking, pour the crushed tomatoes, petite diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and tomato condensed soup in the slow cooker. You do not need to drain any cans.
Add in the sugar and seasonings – the dried basil, fennel, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
Add the spices to your personal preference.
Stir in the cooked ground beef with onions and garlic. Add in the beef broth. We love to use the Better Than Bouillon Roasted Beef Base.
Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 5-7 hours.
About 20 minutes before you are ready to serve, pour in the frozen tortellini’s into the soup. Either turn it on high or remain on high.
When serving, add freshly grated Parmesan cheese or a large spoonful of ricotta cheese. (We did not use ricotta, however planned on next time!)