Where has half a year gone?! It feels like last month we had Liam’s 1st Birthday party. This past few months have been a lot of new things and developments. Liam is growing into a toddler and less a baby. He has learned so much and his personality is showing more and more. These past six months accelerated his speech, abilities, and social skills! After the year mark life gets interesting, hard, fun, exciting, and challenging.
- Liam started kissing on the mouth about a month ago. If Daddy or I pucker our lips and make the kissy noise after asking for a kiss Liam will kiss us on the lips.
- He has started high fives recently.
- He has officially starting to wave back properly or waves goodbye to his class.
- Hugs and today he hugged me from behind as I was sitting on the ground.
- Babbles while is reads a book with me as though he is reading it to me.
- Hits quite often now but will be gentle after a few reminders.
- Shows compassion when someone is hurt or sad.
- Crying or showing signs of frustration when he doesn’t get his way.
- Sharing with others even though he doesn’t quite understand that yet.
- Takes turns throwing a ball with me.
- He likes to pull us and tries to get us to stand up and has us follow him.
- Holds hands while walking.
- Can repeat almost clearly the words shoe, sock, tree, uh oh, no, dada, momma, and hat.
- Sighs more, please, milk(this is new), all done without being asked! He can sometimes sign thank you when asked.
- When he asks please he usually means for food. Today he did that and I got him a snack.
- Says “uh oh” when he hits his head or drops something.
- Can follow a few directions like “go build a tower”(gets blocks), “go get woody or Chaucer the Bear(gets those toys), “kisses”, “get a book”(gets a book), “clean up” (cleans) or “clean your face” after I hand him a wipe he will.
- Sounds like he is “singing” The ABC Song.
- Pretends to talk on the cellphone by holding is up to his ear and babbling.
Newer Intellectual or Cognitive Skills
- He can match colors, shapes, and pictures.
- we have a cute box of little books and they have matching pictures on the cardboard container that holds each little book and he can match them in the proper places.
- Matches puzzle pieces.
- He can match shapes on his shape car. He can almost match all of the shapes in the proper holes.
- He can match the colors in his All Better book. The sticker bandaids can be placed back onto their colored spot in the book and he can match them by himself.
- He can put away things back where he got them.
- Remember familiar songs or parts of a book and react to them, in the same way, each time.
Newer Physical Developments
- Has 4 new teeth(top pointy and bottom molars).
Fine Motor Skills
- Can use a spoon!
- Can hold a pen almost correctly and pretends to write.
- Grab small objects and place them into their proper places or containers.
- Builds a tower with blocks or stacks toys.
- Points at things.
- Tries to blow air(watches me blow on his food).
- Pushes anything that looks like an on button.
- He tries to put on his socks and shoes. He also will bring over our shoes and knows who shoes are whose. He has tried putting my shoes on my feet or has tried putting on our shoes on his feet. It is just too cute.
- He can put on hats.
- Tries to put a key in our front door.
- Liam likes to play ball.
- LOVES to have Daddy or Uncle hold him up to the ceiling and tap it.
- He has been obsessed with the lights and wants to have us turn it off and on. We even have him use the switch.
- He loves anything that has a box or container so that he can take things out or put things in.
- He likes to match things up like his puzzles or little books.
- He likes to pretend he is talking on a phone.
- Baths lately, but gets into it once he starts to splash around.
- Being in the carseat.
- Doesn’t care for cow’s milk.
- Getting his diaper changed; wiggles or screams.
Recent Behavior Developments
Liam for the past month or two has been hitting at home more and at daycare. He does this when he gets something taken away or needs to be moved. Sometimes there isn’t a clear reason. At daycare he is doing this to the smaller ones. We have been working on this.
18 Month Old Ped Appointment
Height: 2′ 7.5″ (16%)
Weight: 22lbs 8 oz (24%)
BMI: 15.94 kg/m2
He is still a little guy and is great health. I thought he may have had a reaction to the Amoxicillin that he used, but when talking to his Ped, he did not. What I saw the day after using this medication back in February was a red mark shaped like a heart on his knee that went away after about a week. About a week after he was done with the meds, he has some light red spots on his chest and back, but went away fast. She is not convinced this was related and if so, was not to be concerned about it. *I am adding this for my own records.
Liam has grown so much lately into a toddler and less like the little baby we took home in 2015.