Last month I decided to try out a Mashed Turnip recipe. Ben wanted to try it out as an alternative to potatoes. I am all for a healthier, light version of something I love. I searched through Pinterest, my favorite place for inspiration, and found a simple recipe from nourishedny.com.
I had to tweak the recipe a bit. I will also add things and do things better. Over all I liked this, but it had a little too much garlic taste for my husband so I need to create a better version!
Roast Garlic Mashed Turnips
- 1 head garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 lbs turnips, peeled and quartered
- ¼ cup olive oil
- salt and crushed black pepper to taste
- Bold is my experience/thoughts with the recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Peel off outer layers of your head of garlic and slice the entire head in half lengthwise. Place the garlic halves cut side up on top of a sheet of aluminum foil. Pour 1 tbsp olive oil across the cloves and completely wrap the foil around the garlic. Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes––or until fragrant.
- I did this but did not use enough garlic and I did not even go to the minimum time frame, so I did something wrong. So the garlic was slightly burt and had too much of the roasted taste for my husband.
- Our 10 month old son Liam loved it however!
- While the garlic is roasting, place quartered turnips into a pot and cover with water. Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Let turnips boil until fork tender, about 25 minutes.
- Remove turnips from the pot with a slotted spoon and transfer to a food processor or blender. Add the roasted garlic and process until smooth. With the mash blending, pour in olive oil and season with salt and crushed black pepper to taste.
- We personally did not like how it turned up as more of a apple sauce consistency rather than mashed potatoes, so I will be using a fork to mash it all up next time.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
What I will add to this recipe
I want to add cheese or instead of garlic, onion-that is what my husband would prefer.
What are you favorite healthy recipes? Share!